[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu May 15 11:38:11 PDT 2008

John Rigg wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 06:01:47PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> that sounds fine but I don't think anything will change for you without
>> becoming proprietary. I'm working for free, too and I need state benefit
>> for survival. I'm 41 and my experience tells me the only solution seems
>> to become proprietary. Sometimes we have to make hard decisions.
>>

> Unfortunately working just for fun doesn't pay the rent or food bills.
> I do sound engineering because it's fun. I charge money for it because
> I need to eat. I see no problem at all with free software developers
> accepting money for their work - how can they devote enough time to
> develop a serious project if they have to do something else to pay the
> bills?
>
> Taking your argument to its logical conclusion, much of the
> Linux kernel would be proprietary because there are developers being
> paid to work on it.
>
> John

Hi John :)

maybe it's my broken English. Don't get me wrong. It's ok if Paul or
anybody will get money for programming free software. I think it's an
illusion to think that there will be a way to get enough money to live
from while programming Ardour. Ardour isn't state of the art. As Mark
has written, the count of downloads isn't the same as the count of
users. Many people prefer Apple and Windows applications like Cubase and
Pro Tools. I'm not writing about me. Private I only use Linux and
because I'm jobless I can say that I only use Linux :). But to be
realistic, Ardour isn't as asked as it seems to be. And as invalid this
ever is: Most people will use cracks of Cubase and Pro Tools, they are
not interested in donations for Ardour. Remember, it's not me! I'm
writing about what is going on in this world.

IMHO the only solution for Paul seems to be, to make Ardour proprietary.
It's good that he won't do that :). But I don't believe the problem can
be solved by the ideas I read about until now.

I'm engaged with Linux because I don't want people to use Apple or
Windows and cracks!

Cheers,
Ralf