[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu May 15 11:50:58 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Davis" <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
Sent: 15 May 2008 15:45
Subject: Re: [Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

> Perhaps even more important for financial considerations is the ability
> to get some more developers able to work part- or even full-time on the
> project in order to advance it to a "tipping point" where adoption of
> the program by many more people becomes inevitable. Right now, there are
> several critical barriers, and the sooner we can get them torn down, the
> better.

Plugins anyone??  The bottom line here is that whilst users can be
encouraged, cajoled and shamed into subscribing, they can't be forced.  So
is there perhaps an argument for developing add-ons that WOULD be
chargeable?  Almost like a 'pro' version of Ardour (which isn't meant to
imply that Ardour isn't 'pro' at the moment...  ;-)).  Actually, I've
thought quite seriously about releasing features in a chargeable plug-in.
And if users would pay I'd have no qualms about donating a percentage to the
overall upkeep of Ardour.  I doubt if any developer would.

But are there enough features that could be implemented as plugins?  And is
there a case for offering discount prices to those users who subscribe
regularly?  And would that in itself encourage more subscribers?  I'm afraid
I don't know the answers to these questions but I feel they're worth asking.

John