[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed May 14 04:43:13 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>

> - Why not put out a press statement that there will be no more public
> releases until x amount has been raised. That works for several projects.
>
> [...]
>
> Make sure there is an accurate counter so people know when the goal
> is getting close and will put in a little extra to bump it over.

Ooer.... those strategies could very easily backfile Patrick.  For example,
people at the start of the process might be reluctant to commit themselves
by paying money up front without having the slightest idea about when their
investment would pay off (i.e. when the s/ware will start getting released
again).  One solution might be to restrict releases temporarily (like you
described) except for people who subscribe.  But that's still a risky
strategy because people will think "why should I pay for something now that
everyone else will eventually get for free".

I like Kevin's idea of a splash screen and I'd suggest taking it further....
a nag window that only appears in the pre-built version.  Every time you
perform a certain action (such as creating or opening a new session) you get
nagged about payment.  There are 2 ways around this - 1) build Ardour from
the source, or 2) pay!!

That's got to be worth a try.

John