[Ardour-Users] [Ardour-Dev] libsndfile

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat May 10 06:49:38 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 11:13 +0000, John Emmas wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I need to do some work to 'harmonize' 24-bit audio between AAF and Ardour
> (prior to releasing an AAF importer for Ardour).  One problem is that AAF
> implements a special 24-bit data type (i.e. 3 bytes per sample) whereas
> libsndfile internalizes 24-bit audio to 32-bit floats.

this isn't true john. ardour uses libsndfile specifically to write
either 32 bit float format or 24 bit integer format. it can do either
(and a lot more besides). what makes you believe that it always
"internalizes" to float? libsndfile does what its calling application
asks it to ...

in ardour, see the Options menu item, which allows you to switch sample
data formats ...