[Ardour-Users] a 100% guaranteed firewire interface for linux?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon Jun 23 11:28:11 PDT 2008

Hi,

Am Montag, 23. Juni 2008 schrieb Mark Greenwood:
> On Monday 23 June 2008 18:30:47 ::surian:: wrote:
> I have an FA-66 working perfectly with freebob (don't use ffado, it's not
> ready yet) under Mandriva 2008. I am using a desktop PC. I'm not sure if
> anything is guaranteed to work though, especially with a laptop. I would
> suggest you should take your laptop along and ask if you can try it.

Most problems with laptops are because of:
a) Firewire-controller sharing the interrupt with something else. Normally
this shouldn't be a problem but with laptops you can (almost) never change
the interrupts of the devices and are stuck with fw, graphics and usb sharing
one interrupt if you have bad luck. If things are good its 'just' fw and wifi
sharing...
b) Bad fw controllers. Some ricoh chips are bad, some aren't. Somewhere on
ffado.org there is or should be a list of good and bad controllers.

BTW: I have a presonus firepod and that works great both with ffado and
freebob. If you just need it to work, use freebob.
And either take your laptop (with a working(?) install of freebob or ffado) to
the dealer or if you are in germany or a country with similar laws, order
online. Then its two weeks return without any fee, reasons or whatsoever. And
at least thomann.de handles that (the 3-years warranty comes as a bonus).

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---