[Ardour-Users] new bug/feature tracker features

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 02:21:15 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Davis" <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
Subject: [Ardour-Users] new bug/feature tracker features

> Please let me know if there any problem arising from the Mantis upgrade
> and any thoughts anybody has on this system.

I don't know whether this is worth considering (or even possible) but when I
looked at the Mantis entries marked as 'features', it struck me that the
vast majority (in fact, all the ones I looked at) were feature 'requests' as
opposed to feature 'proposals'.

If a price is to be put on features, it seems more sensible to me that the
price should apply to proposed features, rather than requested features.
The reason being that several dozen users might all request the same
feature.  Therefore any dev who offers to implement that feature would need
to track down dozens of requests and make sure they all get set to the same
price.

Along with the existing Mantis categories (Unassigned / Resolved / Recently
Modified etc) might there be a case for having a new category called
'Feature Proposals'?  Anyone requesting a particular feature could then
check quite easily whether a dev has already offered to implement it.
Having all the information in one place would also make it easier for devs
to provide progress reports and for users to view status information such as
cost, number of existing sponsors, estimated delivery date and the like.

Cheers,

John