[Ardour-Users] new bug/feature tracker features

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 11:46:32 PDT 2008

Hi Paul,

One drawback in using the existing mantis DB is that it doesn't
(currently) distinguish between feature requests and feature proposals.
Therefore any dev who wants to set a non-zero value for a particular feature
would need to be very conscientious if he wanted to track down all the
relevant requests.  I can definitely envisage this being very offputting (in
fact there aren't any non-zero cost fields at present, as far as I can see).

However you implement it, my instinct is that there needs to be some central
location where Ardour users (and devs) can easily view the current proposals
without needing to trawl through dozens (possibly even hundreds) of feature
requests.  One possible solution might be to add a new category....  as well
as bugs, features, documentation etc, maybe there could be a "feature
proposal" category.  And perhaps (at the top of the "Ideas for Ardour"
forum) there could be a sticky, with links to the currently proposed
features.

Another suggestion I'd like to offer is that any developer who puts forward
a proposal should be able to set a minimum sponsorship amount as well as a
cost.  For example, if 1,000 users all pledged a small amount (say $5) by
the time Paypal has taken its cut and the developer's bank have had their
cut, the poor old developer might be left with a lot less than he'd
expected.  Apart from that, if a feature's realistically worth $40, no-one's
going to pledge $40 if everyone else is only pledging $5.

Just some thoughts,

John