[Ardour-Users] recording with mac osx?

Josh Parmenter josh at realizedsound.net
Thu Jan 31 11:37:39 PST 2008

What is most important is how Jack is connected to the soundcard. If
you are using JackOSX (and are on an intel mac), there is some mention
in the documentation about how an Aggregate Device needs to be created
for Jack to connect to the input and output of the computer.

Then, you just need to tell JackOSX (in the preferences) to use the
Aggregate Device.

When you use the external device, same thing, make sure JackOSX sees
it in the preferences. You probably WON'T have to deal with the
Aggregate Device problem with the external device (though I have seen
one or two that had to have the inputs and outputs connected in a
similar way). If you set your external device as the one to use in
JackOSX, and don't seem to be getting sound in, this could be the
reason, but chances are, you will connect and sound will already be
coming in.

Once Jack is using the device correctly, you should be able to connect
inputs and outputs from within Ardour.

Hope that helps.

Josh

On Jan 31, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Svante Karlsson wrote:

> Pardon me. I'm a complete beginner with Ardour. I was just wondering.
> How do I get Ardour to understand how to connect to my sound card? I
> couldn't find this piece of info in the manual? For the moment I'm
> using the built in sound card (CODEC: Texas Instruments TAS3004) but
> I'm planning to by an external one soon.
>
> anyone
> /svante

/* Joshua D. Parmenter
http://www.realizedsound.net/josh/

“Every composer – at all times and in all cases – gives his own
interpretation of how modern society is structured: whether actively
or passively, consciously or unconsciously, he makes choices in this
regard. He may be conservative or he may subject himself to continual
renewal; or he may strive for a revolutionary, historical or social
palingenesis." - Luigi Nono
*/