[Ardour-Users] Motherboard hints and tips?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Jan 31 10:48:06 PST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2008 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> I don't want to start any distro flame wars but it is relatively easy
> to run both 32-bit and 64-bit using Gentoo.  You can make either one
> bootable and run the other in a chroot if you choose. I don't believe
> there is anything distro specific about this, nor do I believe that
> they really have to be the same distro.

Or just install the 64bit version of the distro and let the distro install the
32bit chroot for the apps that need it. That is the way gentoo runs the 32bit
flash (and proprietary media formats for mplayer and the like) in a 64bit
environment. User interaction (during install or usage) equals 0. No need for
two installs, no need for dual boot, no need for special user
configuration...

Unlike:
> My real point here is that you don't *really* have to make a hard
> choice. Put two installations on your hard drive and use them both.
> Make a decision which one to use later. Keep your /home and /audio on
> separate partitions so that everything is available to both. Be
> prepared for a few issues with things like Gnome config files in your
> home directory, but even that's not too bad.
> As I say, if I was going to build a new machine I'd go 32-bit in a
> second and possibly build a 64-bit chroot later. After 3 years I see
> no purpose in running 64-bit for recording audio and it gets in the
> way of too much web-based media.

From running a 64bit install since 2.5 years for audio and day-to-day usage:
The only thing not working are some advanced MS formats (who needs them
anyway?) and some advanced pd externals, for everything else that is not
working native, there are binary versions that "do it all for you[TM]".
youtube, flash, videos, it all just works.

Arnold

PS: I am trying to not write my thesis, thats why I have so much time for
writing emails...
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---