[Ardour-Users] Motherboard hints and tips?

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Thu Jan 31 08:59:22 PST 2008

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:44:47 -0600
"Brett Clark" <brett.clark at zirous.com> wrote:
> I recommend spending the extra money on the variable
> speed fans.  They may cost $20 - $30 dollars, but they will be much quieter.
> Same with the CPU cooling fan.  The one that comes boxed with the CPU
> is probably the cheapest one that they could come up with.

I can't agree more with this.  I have a system that started out as a
prepackaged "quiet" PC based on a Pentium III CPU.  I upgraded to a P4
a while back, and now the only piece that's original on it is the case!

I knew the original PIII power supply wouldn't fit, so I got a quiet
PS, but hadn't realized that the stock P4 fans were so bad.  I finally
went and got a Zalman CPU fan and was amazed at how quiet it is.  The
loudest noise now comes from my hard drives.  (I went with a lower-end
graphics card to avoid a fan on it.  I really don't need a whole lot
of GPU power to run ardour!)

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com