[Ardour-Users] Motherboard hints and tips?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Jan 31 08:56:08 PST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 31. Januar 2008 schrieb Kevin Cosgrove:
> My 64 bit Athlon runs quite nicely in 32-bit mode, very nicely in fact.

There even was a test of a German computer magazine some years ago: They
compared the speed of intels and amds 64bit processors while running them in
32bit mode and 64bit mode. The amds where equally fast in both, the intels
where slower in 32bit mode than with 64bit.

But that is only comparing tasks that don't use the 64bit. Audio "should" make
use of 64bit. Anyway, I as a scientist have definitely a use for 64bit for
calculations and the like, so I keep on recommending 64bit processors for
everyone so they become cheap for us to buy :-)

And why not use the advantages of 64bit? Why should your system always stick
with less than 4GB ram? Why do you want to keep yourself from using faster
64bit pci-interfaces? Why run 16bit DOS on a 32bit machine if there is an
alternative?

And don't tell me you had problems with running 64bit in the past! I had
problems with handy, telephone and the microwave in the past, does that keep
me from using them and exploring their potential? (I even had problems with
fire, still I don't live in a tomb fearing anything fire.)

Problems with software are there to be solved (by the developers), so instead
of "I don't use 64bit because app X has problems with it", please tell the
responsible dev about the problem and watch the bugfix-release come...

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---