[Ardour-Users] Motherboard hints and tips?

brad at eccwireless.com brad at eccwireless.com
Thu Jan 31 07:36:15 PST 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2008 4:45 AM, Mark Greenwood <fatgerman at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Having delved into why I'm getting 30% CPU usage with 4 tracks in
>> Ardour, my VIA motherboard would seem to be to blame. So, it's time for
>> me to build a new PC. I want to build it from scratch, since I've never
>> done it before and I like a challenge and also I don't want to buy an
>> off-the-shelf PC and get a useless Vista CD.... Back when it was my job
>> to understand this stuff, I understood this stuff, but that was a long
>> time ago. I've been researching and find myself bewildered by the range
>> of options and makes and terminology.
>>
>> I've decided on a Core 2 Duo processor since heat generation and
>> therefore fan noise is one of my top priorities (my current Athlon
>> system sounds like a vacuum cleaner and keeps me awake at night from the
>> next room!). Also I don't want to run a 64-bit system because I still
>> want to be able to use it 'normally, and I've read of a few software
>> compatability problems with 64-bit systems.
>>
>> So, does anybody on the list have any recommendations for motherboard
>> brands, chipsets, kernel optimisations, etc etc etc. I'm floundering
>> here so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark.
>>

> Hi Mark,
>    I still prefer Asus. They are a bit expensive but I just built a
> P5E system with a Core 2 Duo. I've attached the parts list from NewEgg
> if you want to look at that. This machine is primarily for Windows
> gaming with Linux on a separate boot. The video card is load and noisy
> but the machine itself is very quiet.
>
>    Contrary to other responses I would not run 64-bit Linux. I type
> this email from a 64-bit Gentoo machine. I can say that there are
> numerous Windows-based web media formats that work marginally well
> under 32-bit Linux that fail under 64-bit. There are some Java issues
> under 64-bit and Flash has lots of problems under 64-bit. I've also
> had problems with Wine and some, but not all, 32-bit VSTs not working
> at all. It's gotten much better over the last 18 months with better
> 32-bit emulation libraries.
>
>    If my hard drive failed in this machine I'd choose 32-bit without
> hesitation. I've run 64-bit for close to 3 years and I cannot see ANY
> advantage and many disadvantages.
>
>    If you choose to run 64-bit you might factor in running a 32-bit
> chroot as a means of running stuff that doesn't work right in 32-bit.
> Twice the work though...
>
>    Stick with 32-bit SMP set up for 4 processors and I think you'll be
> happier in the long run. If you want to you can put 64-bit in a chroot
> and see the compatibility problems yourself. If they aren't too high
> you can always boot the chroot and run 64-bit later.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>
> Item	Description	Quantity  Unit Price Extended Price
> [...]

Hi Mark,

I just built a new system using an ASUS P35K SE motherboard with a quad
core Q6600 from Intel. Its running 64 bit and has 3 GB 800 MHz RAM and a
320 GB SATA drive. For the video card I started with an Nvidia 8500 GT
but I couldn't install Fedora with it so I ended up with an Nvidia 7300 GS.

After I followed Nando's instructions for loading CRRMA on Fedora 8 I
went to to the following website for instructions on installing flash,
mplayer and other necessities.

http://www.howtoforge.com/installation-guide-fedora8-desktop or if you
prefer Fedora 7 http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_fedora7.

I have to admit that when using the current 64 bit RT kernel the system
freezes about one minute after logging on. But it's so fast that I don't
need the RT kernel. Without the RT kernel I can record 5 tracks in
Ardour with Jack and Jamin running while ripping a CD, Thunderbird and
Firefox are open and I'm playing a movie with mplayer. The only plugins
I use are Taps, SC4, Stereo reverb and EQ.

Good luck,
Brad