[Ardour-Users] Hydrogen/Ardour sync problem

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jan 28 06:39:18 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 13:56 +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
> Am Montag, 28. Januar 2008 schrieb Johannes Mario Ringheim:
> > Arnold Krille wrote:
> > > Yes, as long as the time-shift is constant. That is probably because
> > > ardour still thinks you are using external soundsources and compensates
> > > for the latency for using hardware or software monitoring. Try to play
> > > around with these options. But probably its not as relevant as you might
> > > think now. Its only important that the time-shift is constant (which
> > > means that you can easily shift the finished tracks in ardour). And you
> > > have to record the final track of hydrogen in ardour before exporting
> > > because afaik hydrogen doesn't support the freewheeling-mode of jack that
> > > ardour uses for export (which would give you a final file without drums).
> > > If the time-shift is not constant, then you or the ardour-devs have a
> > > problem. :-)
> > I've also encountered this problem.
> > The time-shift depends on the frames/period and periods/buffer settings
> > in jack. It's been a while since I investigated this, but as far as I
> > remember that's what I found.
>
> Which means its constant (in your session of jack) and simply because of
> latency compensation happening / not happening. Nothing to really worry
> about, ardour just can't tell wether the sound its playing/monitoring is from
> inside or outside the computer...

actually it can, and it does. ardour will trace the signal path back to
a physical port (if one exists).

however, the version of JACK is important. although the basic
information required for latency compensation has always been available,
there are some little details about how and when its computed that
affect the results.

what version of JACK is being used in the scenario where this is not
working?