[Ardour-Users] An Ardour hack idea I'd like to try.

Sean Corbett seanbutnotheard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 11:28:22 PST 2008

Good day all,

This is mainly aimed at the Ardour developers, but as it doesn't pertain to
the development of Ardour proper, I'm posting it here instead of the -dev
list (where I've also been lurking for a while).

If one were to attempt to add serial port functionality to Ardour, where
would the best place be to start?  The control surface code?  My idea is to
use a simple RS232-controlled relay board to turn on and off a "Recording"
light in the tracking room of my studio.  There are a ton of such relay
boards out there, and I'm guessing there are an overabundance of serial port
libraries I could use (in fact I probably already have some installed).
Eventually I might attempt to do some custom control surface stuff, but I'd
be better off keeping it simple for now.

Or maybe someone has already done this...

Thanks,
Sean Corbett