[Ardour-Users] PreSonus Digimax FS or 96k experiences?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Jan 21 12:48:09 PST 2008

Has anyone used any of the PreSonus Digimax pieces, particularly the FS or
the 96k in either a studio or live environment with Ardour?

They both meet the majority of my checklist items for A/D interfaces,
namely:
8 channels
good preamps
XLR or XLR/TRS combo inputs
48V phantom power on all inputs, either individually or group switchable
phantom power must be hard-switchable, i.e. no software-only control
at least 48k sample rate
ADAT outs
word clock in/out
built-in power supply strongly preferred

The FS looks like a nice box for the money but my concerns with it are 1.
that it has an external power supply (rack clutter = bad) and 2. the
dynamic range is a little on the low side (105 dB A-weighted).  The 96k
has a built-in power supply and around 120 dB of range, but is around USD
800 more per box.  105 dB is probably fine for recording live shows but is
a bit of a concern for studio work.

I occasionally have to record in places where there is a fair amount of
interference, particularly FM bleed, so preamps that are properly shielded
and cleanly dressed are a must.

Either piece would be taking word clock from my existing source (RME
Digiface)

I've read several reviews of both pieces, but I'm interested in any
experiences that the Ardour community has had with them.  I'm also looking
at pieces from other vendors.

Thanks in advance
jms