[Ardour-Users] Ardour 2.3 Leopard insert

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Feb 10 11:10:51 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 12:21 -0800, Josh Parmenter wrote:
> Why not just get a cheap three button mouse? You can probably find a
> basic USB mouse for 10 dollars.
>
> control-click doesn't work in Tiger either. It just doesn't come
> through for some reason - Paul and I actually spent quite some time
> trying to debug this, and the result was that OS X doesn't actually
> treat ctrl-click as a right click, it treats it as a left click with a
> modifier key (if I remember correctly).

To clarify what josh said: what we discovered when researching this is
that treating ctrl-click like right-click is a per-app convention that
has emerged on OS X and was implemented in Apples X11.app (optionally).
However, it is absolutely *NOT* part of the way that Cocoa and Carbon
(Apple's "contemporary" GUI toolkits) work, and an application is free
to not support this mapping.

Since ardour already has plenty of uses for ctrl-clicks, it joins a set
of applications that do not map ctrl-click to right-click, but instead
require you to either configure your touchpad for two-finger tap OR to
get a real mouse.

--p