[Ardour-Users] The future for Linux multimedia looks bright

John Rigg au at sound-man.co.uk
Mon Dec 22 02:33:14 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 07:40:17PM -0500, Joe Kokosa wrote:
> Is anyone on the list using Ardour and other open source software in a
> commercial for-hire studio?  If so, what kind of hardware are you using
> and how many inputs and tracks?

I'm doing it on a freelance basis. I have a mobile setup and
work from a small mix room, hiring live rooms for loud tracking when
required.

I've been using three heavily modified Delta 1010s (24 analogue
in/out channels) but I've just acquired an RME HDSPe MADI card
and am expecting delivery of an SSL Alpha Link MADI SX
that I've just ordered. That has 24 analogue in/outs, plus another
24 channels of AES/EBU in/out. One of the reasons for the
upgrade was that it's less hassle running a single interface
than multiple sound cards.

> Also, how do others handle upgrading to new releases?

I use removable drive bays. When doing a software upgrade I keep a
copy of the previous system on a spare drive and carry it to sessions
just in case. Audio files are on a separate drive.

John