[Ardour-Users] The future for Linux multimedia looks bright

Joe Kokosa hotguac at comcast.net
Sun Dec 21 16:40:17 PST 2008

I think the future of multimedia production using open source software
is indeed bright.  I've been dabbling with Ardour, Jack, Hydrogen, and
other open source audio software for a few years and I am amazed at the
progress in both functionality and stability.  All the contributors and
especially the lead developers deserve nothing but respect and
appreciation for their time and hard work.

I started on four and then eight track analog reel-to-reel tape machines
in the early 1990's for five years when I owned and engineered a small
for-hire project studio in my basement.

Now, with Ardour and other open source software and good techniques and
sub-mixing, I've been able to produce some fairly decent (with my
amateurish playing) tracks on some pretty modest gear - a 2.4G P4
machine with a Delta 66 interface.

I also have 20+ years supporting myself doing programming and other IT
support.  In my IT role I know not to upgrade a production software
system without thorough testing first.  If a new release doesn't work,
you should be prepared to roll it back or reinstall - open source or
paid-for proprietary.

Is anyone on the list using Ardour and other open source software in a
commercial for-hire studio?  If so, what kind of hardware are you using
and how many inputs and tracks?

Also, how do others handle upgrading to new releases?

Joe Kokosa (recently joined the list)