[Ardour-Users] plugin ideas

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 06:23:13 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 6:22 AM, John Rigg <au at sound-man.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 11:25:31PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
>> > <  1 - A compressor with a sidechain input (if one doesn't exist
>> > <      already).
>>
>> There is one for ladspa:
>> http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/ladspa-swh.html#tth_sEc2.89
>> And if you read the news at
>> http://plugin.org.uk/
>> they have already been ported to LV2.
>
> SC3 has a sidechain input, but how do you use it in Ardour?
> I couldn't work out how to connect it.
>
> An example of the use I have in mind is to insert a mono compressor
> plugin in an Ardour track and EQ the sidechain separately with another
> plugin, eg. for de-essing. AFAIK this isn't possible at the moment.
>
> Another similar situation would be with a gate, with its sidechain
> signal coming from another track, eg. gating a bass guitar
> with the kick drum.
>
> John

I'm not using Ardour right now but don't believe you can. Ardour has
never had (AFAIK) the abiliity to route to the side chain input. Would
be a great addition for some future rev.

You might be able to do this in Jack Rack though, treating the whole
process like it was an external side chain compressor. Route audio and
the control signal out, do the compression, and then route it back in,
etc.

- Mark