[Ardour-Users] plugin ideas

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Aug 4 09:27:47 PDT 2008

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Jaromír Mikeš wrote:

> <  I'd like to see:
> <
> <  1 - A compressor with a sidechain input (if one doesn't exist
> <      already). A multiband compressor with separate sidechain
> <      inputs would be very nice.
> <
> <  2 - Low pass and high pass filters with variable slopes and
> <      corner characteristics.
> <
> <  3 - A parametric EQ with proper compensation for the frequency response
> <      aliasing that occurs near the Nyquist frequency (a la Sony Oxford EQ).
> <
> <  4 - A level meter that detects intersample peaks.
> <
> <  5 - (Related to 4) A mastering limiter that uses upsampling to
> <      reduce aliasing and intersample clipping.
> I absolutely agree with this list and I only would like add some others:
>
> 6. Some good reverb... maybe convolution one is a good choice because of its universal usage.
> (Here is one interesting, but no GUI for it .... http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/)
> (e.g. like SIR http://www.knufinke.de/sir/)
>
> 7. Good real time measuring tool...
> Oscilator... (phase checker)
> Level meter Peak and RMS
> (Like RME Digicheck http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_techinfo.php?page=content/support/en_support_techinfo_digicheck)
> (http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=233)
>
> 8. Phase-linear EQ would be nice too :-)
> (Like PSPaudio's http://www.pspaudioware.com/ ... Neon ...)
>
> 9. Tapable and synchronized delay
> (Like PSPaudio's http://www.pspaudioware.com/ ... 608 ...)
>
> 10. Exciter
> (Like Crysonic's http://www.crysonic.com/spectralivenxt.html)
>
> 11. Noise remover
> (Like http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=259 http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=205 http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=203)
>
> 12. DeEsser
> (Like http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=267)
>
> I have the same opinion like others in this thread that "eye candy" stuff is not most important and shouldn't increase system load too much. But on the other hand some graphical improvement can make live easer .. ;-)

I know there was a decent spectrum analyzer for Jack (jaaa), but I don't
know if it's still being maintained and compatible with current releases
of Jack.  There's also one in jamin, but especially for live work, firing
up jamin is probably overkill.

A nice lightweight spectrum analyzer would be a great thing to have.

jms