[Ardour-Users] Using the BCF2000 MIDI ports

John Anderson ardour at semiosix.com
Thu Sep 20 00:14:05 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 21:52 +0100, Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 20:14 +0000, John Anderson wrote:
> > Glad to hear it. How do you find the button mappings?
> >

> The mappings are great, I'm meaning to create a diagram based on the
> ones in the Behringer emulation modes document to make it easier to
> visualize but I've developed a strong hatred for every piece of software
> I've tried doing that with :-) I notice that Frontier have a nice
> diagram on their web site illustrating the mappings for the Tranzport,
> perhaps someone should suggest to Behringer that they do similar.

Well, seeing as various people (including me) invented the mappings,
Behringer wouldn't know about them ;-)

> > After futzing around quite a bit, I did the following:
> >
> > - choose mcu as the MTC port in Windows/Preferences/MIDI
> >
> > - Turn on trace output
> >
> > - Turn on Options/Send MTC
> >
> > and I see a bunch of sysex messages that don't belong to the BCF. I
> > assume they're MTC messages.
> >

> Right, this suggest then that you are using the alsa sequencer interface
> rather than the raw interface as the mcu doesn't appear in the list in
> the MIDI options page when using the raw interface (for me anyway.) I
> guess this has been fixed since the documentation (which specifically
> refers to the sequencer interface not working in 2.04) and I've been
> tracking 2.0-ongoing so I'll give it a try.

Nope, I'm using alsa/raw. I've updated the docs to make it clear that
alsa/sequencer are not working with the mackie code in 2.0-ongoing. It
will take a while for the website to be updated.

> Yes, when pressing the button to put the BCF into LC mode on power-up
> keep it pressed in and EG will appear in the display (Edit Global
> settings) turning the leftmost VPOT changes the MIDI mode and I think it
> should be set to U3, pressing "Exit" will save this setting and return
> to LC mode. "aconnect -o" should now show three sequencer ports for the
> BCF 2000.

Ah, OK. If I set the bcf to u3, and use qjackctl to connect ardour:seq
to 1:BCF2000 MIDI 2, and tell Ardour to send MTC to seq, and I start the
transport rolling, then the MIDI A light on the BCF starts flashing
rapidly.

And if I put my nose really close to the MIDI A port on the back of the
bcf, I can almost, but not quite, smell the midi messages drifting
out :-p

bye
John