[Ardour-Users] Using the BCF2000 MIDI ports

John Anderson ardour at semiosix.com
Wed Sep 19 13:14:14 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 12:12 +0100, Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> I've got a BCF2000 working great in MCU mode

Glad to hear it. How do you find the button mappings?

> but it strikes me as a
> possibility that using the raw device as described in the documentation
> militates against using the BCFs MIDI ports (though of course I could
> just be having a senior moment.)
>
> What I would like to do in the first instance is send MTC from ardour to
> an external drum machine ( an Ion iDM02 in this case ) via the BCFs MIDI
> out but having tried virtually every combination of connection and
> switches in ardour's MIDI options I'm struggling to get it to work.
>
> Should this kind of setup work? And if so can someone give me a quick
> description of how to go about it - I'm sure it's just something really
> simple I've missed.

After futzing around quite a bit, I did the following:

- choose mcu as the MTC port in Windows/Preferences/MIDI

- Turn on trace output

- Turn on Options/Send MTC

and I see a bunch of sysex messages that don't belong to the BCF. I
assume they're MTC messages.

Hmm, I vaguely remember seeing something in the BCF manual about how to
set up using the midi-thru port. Over to you on that one - I have no
outboard midi gear to test with.

bye
John