[Ardour-Users] new import dialog

Tim Mayberry mojofunk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 00:23:16 PDT 2007

On 9/5/07, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 19:35 +1000, Tim Mayberry wrote:

> > I don't think the tagging function should be in an import dialog at
> > all. It isn't clear what files the meta data is being associated with,
>
> the file whose name is at the top of the "info" pane, which functions as
> a "preview" for the most recently selected file. The tags are just like
> all the other data displayed in that frame (though as Thorsten has
> pointed out, its possibly significant that the tags are not stored *in*
> the file).

It seems like functionality that has little to do with importing files to me.

> > Auditioning a file should occur when it is selected and not on
> > double-click. double-click should import the files/activate "OK".
>
> this is absolutely wrong.
>
>         1) the user does not want to audition every file they select -
>              they know the contents of many of them and it would be
>              simply irritating to have them playing when all you do
>              is to select a file.

I'm a user and I do want this. This behavior is common to all the
DAW's I'm familiar with, some of them do have an "Auto Play" option to
turn the behavior off that has been mentioned elsewhere in this
thread.

>         2) the available importing options change depending on how
>              many files are selected. the user *needs* to select
>              files first, then decide what to do with them. if the
>              user is lucky, the default or current options will
>              still be correct. driving import by dbl-click on a single
>              file seems to error prone to me.

I'm not sure why you think it is error prone, choosing a file by
double-click is consistent with all the Gtk+ based applications I've
ever used. If it is a two step process where the user selects the
files and then decides what to do with them perhaps two separate
dialogs should be used.

> > - There is no option to audition the file so that it sounds like it
> > would after it is imported and resampled(if the SR is different than
> > the session). There is an existing issue reported about this I think.
>
> We are not going to provide that, since the goal of import&resampling is
> to leave it unaltered as much as technically possible. Why would a user
> want to check that we did a good enough job?

I was referring to auditioning a file, which for me means playing back
the the file as it is supposed to sound irrespective of the current
samplerate of the session/jack. If the session/jack SR is 96K and I'm
playing back a 48K file........Alvin!!!

Tim.