[Ardour-Users] new import dialog

Andrew Johnston andy at 1300biteme.com
Wed Sep 5 16:38:46 PDT 2007

On 9/5/07, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/5/07, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 19:35 +1000, Tim Mayberry wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >
> > > Auditioning a file should occur when it is selected and not on
> > > double-click. double-click should import the files/activate "OK".
> >
> > this is absolutely wrong.
> >
> >         1) the user does not want to audition every file they select -
> >              they know the contents of many of them and it would be
> >              simply irritating to have them playing when all you do
> >              is to select a file.
>
> Not that my input matters much but I agree with Paul on this one. One
> of the more frustrating features of Acid Pro is that when playing a
> song if I select a loop for audition it automatically starts playing
> the loop with the song. It's nice in a sense since this is what Acid
> is about but to stop it I have to go find a different transport and
> hit stop. (Not the song's transport.) At a minimum auditioning should
> require a double-click on the first file being auditioned and an easy
> way to halt auditioning when the user needs to.

This is interesting because soon I was going to post a question asking where
I can find a program that DOES automatically audition the samples (not that
I think it should be a default in the ardour import dialog on a single
click).  The other day I bought 600 new beat loops and wanted to listen to
them all to find the best one to fit a song I made.  Do you know how
annoying it is to have to do two separate mouse movements 600 times!  I got
RSI pain by the end.  My suggestion is that there is a tick box that says
'autoplay', so i can use the keyboard and press the down arrow to go through
the list while it auto plays them, and all the other times I DON'T want them
to autoplay I just turn it off!  I agree with you both, I have used windows
programs that autoplay samples and it is annoying as hell - however seeming
as this new dialog is getting sorted now, PLEASE can you add the option.

Thanks

Cheers,