[Ardour-Users] OT - plugin to remove buzz from harp note

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Mon Oct 22 13:08:49 PDT 2007

On Monday 22 October 2007, brad stafford wrote:
> > with it, i've successfully removed a train going by in the background of
> > someone speaking once, and it's also quite useful to remove annoying
> > noises between songs from old vinyl records. but you need a good noise
> > sample, otherwise it will most likely distort your recording.
>
> I tried Audacity and it didn't work. I couldn't isolate the sample
> enough as it's too tied in with the note. Great idea though.

Hi again, i still don't have an answer but i would like to go off on a tangent
a bit here.

There's a tool i miss in most of the audio editors today. That is selective
timestretching.. It's difficult to explain in words, so i made a drawing
[actually i made this a while back when i first had the idea]:

http://tapas.affenbande.org/timestretch.png

The idea was originally to be able to correct timing in recordings. Assume you
have a drum rhythm and just a single stroke is just a little late. With this
tool, what you would do would be to put a selection box ranging from the
attack of the previous note to the attack of the following note. Then you
position a "handle" on the attack of the late note, "fixate" it there and
then pull it to an earlier time [so it's right on the money]. The tool would
then timestretch that parts of the selection shortening the time before the
wrong note and lengthening the time after it] so that the attack of the late
note is then on the right time..

There would be a natural extension to this tool for your usecase. Take the
same drawing from above but read it from the bottom to the top.. you from the
attack of the previous note to the beginning of the following note (the noise
being in the selection, too]. Then you put the handle right befoer the start
of the noise, fix the handle and pull it to the right. This time just the
selection from the start to the handle will get lengthened and the material
following the handle is just overwritten.

This would allow you to "stretch" the previous note over the noise.

Someday i might get around to implement that ;)

Regards,
Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!