[Ardour-Users] Multiple-track editing, etc, etc

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Oct 11 01:21:07 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 23:30 -0400, Michael Dunn wrote:

>     I may have omitted "activate"ing my group when I previously tried
> this, but I just tried again, exactly as you say; deleted a range in
> one track of the group, and it DID NOT propagate to other tracks.
>
>     I *did* discover ctl-dragging will do this - that is, create a
> multitrack range with selected tracks, though it seems to alternate
> between working and not...
>
>     Also, someone *please* explain the basics of saving and snapshots
> and the infamous "-1" filename suffix.  For example, in the file
> where I just tried the above edit group test, I added a track, tried
> the edit, then quit.  I did NOT save!  Yet when I reloaded the file,
> the new track was still there.  People REALLY NEED TO KNOW what
> changes are automatically saved.

"-1" files are created when ardour 2.X believes it has loaded a 0.99
session. it copies the 0.99 session file to "foo-1.ardour" before
proceeding, because after the session file is saved by 2.X, older
versions of ardour will no longer be able to load it. if you are
"migrating up" from 0.99, this rather important information since
although we do load 0.99-created sessions, there are some potential
pitfalls of continuing to work with them in 2.X.

it is deeply unclear to me what you're actually doing that fails so
often, hence my previous email. adding a track/bus always results in
saving the session file. capture always results in saving the session
file. not much else automatically initiates a save, but auto-save (if
its enabled) will save periodically unless you are in the middle of
recording.