[Ardour-Users] Compile problem (probably my fault...)

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Tue Oct 9 09:33:04 PDT 2007

John Emmas wrote:
> I'm in the middle of installing Linux on my laptop PC, so that I can demo
> Ardour to somebody in a couple of weeks time.  I thought I'd take the easy
> route and install 64studio.  That all worked fine - albeit that 64studio's
> copy of Ardour is quite an old one, so I thought I'd build an up-to-date
> version.
>
> I've backed up my 64studio partition so nothing's going to get lost but
> I'm having a problem building Ardour.  AFAIK I've installed the relevant
> libraries / tools / dependencies etc.  But when I try to build with Scons
> I get this output....
>
> sudo scons DEBUG=1
> scons: Reading SConscript files ...
> Checking for pkg-config version >= 0.8.0... (cached) yes
> Checking for gthread-2.0... (cached) yes
> Checking for lrdf... (cached) yes
> Checking for libgnomecanvas-2.0... (cached) yes
> Checking for gtk+-2.0... (cached) yes
> Checking for jack... (cached) yes
> Checking for samplerate... (cached) yes
> Checking for glib-2.0... (cached) yes
> Checking for libxml-2.0... (cached) yes
> Checking for raptor... (cached) yes
> Package lrdf was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `lrdf.pc'
> No package 'lrdf' found
> OSError: 'pkg-config --cflags --libs lrdf' exited 1:
>   File "/media/SHAREDDATA/ardour2/SConstruct", line 466:
>     libraries['lrdf'].ParseConfig('pkg-config --cflags --libs lrdf')
>   File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Environment.py", line 1103:
>     return function(self, self.backtick(command))
>   File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Environment.py", line 468:
>     raise OSError("'%s' exited %s" % (command, status))
>
> I'm assuming I've missed a step out, somewhere along the way.  What is the
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable - and what should I have done to
> set it up?  (or what might I have missed out?)
>
> Thanks,
>

> John

hallo john, either you have not installed liblrdf or liblrdf-dev, that
will the most probably.

to have the

PKG_CONFIG_PATH

working properly in debian, i put this line into my .bash_profile:

export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkg-config

(note:this both lines  in original are only one line!)

...so the point is to find out, where on your system the libraries have
installed their .pc files.

try first running 'updatedb' as root, and than:

locate pkgconfig

once you find out the path(s) you can modify the line to catch the ones
in your system.

since 64studio is a debian derivate, it should work the same way...

for changes to apply, you have to logout and login again the user.

cheers,
doc