[Ardour-Users] Compile problem (probably my fault...)

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 10:23:33 PDT 2007

I'm in the middle of installing Linux on my laptop PC, so that I can demo
Ardour to somebody in a couple of weeks time.  I thought I'd take the easy
route and install 64studio.  That all worked fine - albeit that 64studio's
copy of Ardour is quite an old one, so I thought I'd build an up-to-date
version.

I've backed up my 64studio partition so nothing's going to get lost but
I'm having a problem building Ardour.  AFAIK I've installed the relevant
libraries / tools / dependencies etc.  But when I try to build with Scons
I get this output....

sudo scons DEBUG=1
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for pkg-config version >= 0.8.0... (cached) yes
Checking for gthread-2.0... (cached) yes
Checking for lrdf... (cached) yes
Checking for libgnomecanvas-2.0... (cached) yes
Checking for gtk+-2.0... (cached) yes
Checking for jack... (cached) yes
Checking for samplerate... (cached) yes
Checking for glib-2.0... (cached) yes
Checking for libxml-2.0... (cached) yes
Checking for raptor... (cached) yes
Package lrdf was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `lrdf.pc'
No package 'lrdf' found
OSError: 'pkg-config --cflags --libs lrdf' exited 1:
  File "/media/SHAREDDATA/ardour2/SConstruct", line 466:
    libraries['lrdf'].ParseConfig('pkg-config --cflags --libs lrdf')
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Environment.py", line 1103:
    return function(self, self.backtick(command))
  File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Environment.py", line 468:
    raise OSError("'%s' exited %s" % (command, status))

I'm assuming I've missed a step out, somewhere along the way.  What is the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable - and what should I have done to
set it up?  (or what might I have missed out?)

Thanks,

John