[Ardour-Users] New ardour user - two questions and one bug to report

Lokmer dsawyer at blenderwars.com
Mon Nov 12 18:07:44 PST 2007

Hey all -

I'm new with using Ardour, but on the whole have found it intuitive and
comprehensible since I come from a background of doing live sound
reinforcement work.  I've run into a couple snags that I'm hoping you
guys would be kind enough to help me with.

Problem 1: Popping and hissing.
Working on my laptop, anytime I playback in Ardour it's accompanied by
the most horrendus popping, hissing, and other static sounds.  It's not
clipping, and it seems pretty uniform across the audio spectrum (i.e. it
happens regardless of whether the voice playing back is high or low, or
EQ'd high or low).  This makes it really difficult to do proper EQ
passes to minimize room tone, as well as listen to make sure precision
edits are actually as precise as they should be.  Has anyone run into
this?  Is there a fix - or, indeed, is there a good way to diagnose what
exactly is going on so a fix may be arrived at?

Problem 2: I can't seem to output a finished project.  Whether
outputting a session or a range, and whether "master outs" or the track
outs are checked, I get the proper "exporting" dialogue, and an audio
file of the proper length, but the file is empty.  I've tried rerouting
tracks, sending them through a fresh bus, everything I can think of, but
the end result is (so far) always silence.

Bug (or, potential bug):  When adjusting fader gain on the automation
for a track, if I zero out a fader on a single track it mutes all tracks
(whether they're in the same edit group or not, the speakers go
silent).  If I back it off just a hair so that it's not zeroed out, the
other tracks play through at their proper volume.

Any help here would be hot.  Thanks!
-Dan