[ardour-users] memory limits

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Sun May 13 23:22:02 PDT 2007

Quoting "Brett W. McCoy" <idragosani at gmail.com>:

> I get this message when starting up Ardour 2.0.2 (I think I got it on
> earlier versions of Ardour23 also, don't remember, hasn't caused me
> problems yet).
>
> WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!

It's just a warning. Nothing more. It's possible to run out of locked memory
in big systems, so the warning is there to give the users a possibility of
understanding what's going on.

> ulimit -l gives me 32, is there a recommended value (I have 512M of
> RAM on the system in question)? /etc/security/limits.conf doesn't have
> anything configured.

ulimit -l works in mysterious ways. It seems the script which detects the
maximum is not perfect. If you haven't run into issues you can just ignore
the message for now.

Can you tell me which shell /bin/sh is ? "ls -l /bin/sh" usually reveals
that. Oh, and which distribution are you using?

  Sampo