[ardour-users] Ardour errors during mixing

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Fri May 4 01:33:32 PDT 2007

Being in the mixing-phase myself...

Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2007 schrieb sara lidgey:
>   I've been using Ardour with Fedora Core Linux now for a couple years
> without too many problems.  I recently upgraded my machine (Intel Duo
> processor, 2 gigs of ram..., SATA drive) and I'm running Fedora Core 5 with
> the CCRMA  kernel 2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrmasmp I use an M-Audio
> Delta-66 audio interface.
>  I've recorded a musical composition with between 20 and 30 tracks at 96khz
> sample rate.  The recording went fine but now as I am mixing and adding the
> LADSPA plugin TAP Equalizer to many tracks, I am running into problems with
> either Ardour saying that “...Jack may have disconnected because Ardour was
> not fast enough” (most frequent error) or an error about Ardour not being
> able to read the disk fast enough to keep up with playback.   I've noticed
> many xrun lines in the Jack messages window.
>  Any advice about I go about solving this issue?  Its getting to the point
> where I can't play back the mix for more that 20 seconds without an error.
> Are there any adjustments I can make to improve performance?

Turn up the latency of jack by using a bigger buffer size.

I know everyone is trimming their system to have low latencies but for mixing
mastering you need a reliable system with lots of effects and massive
disk-throughput (even more if you master/export your session). So give ardour
time to compute the effects and load the files from disk by using something
like 2x1024 or even more for packet-number/-size of jack.

And use "-t 4500" to raise the timeout limit for clients.

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---