[ardour-users] realtime kernel on ubuntu

Nicola Mattei foxdalailama at gmail.com
Thu May 3 02:55:24 PDT 2007

2007/5/3, Michal Žeravík <michalz at olomouc.com>:
> On Thu, 3 May 2007 11:14:02 +0200
> "Nicola Mattei" <foxdalailama at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2007/5/3, Michal Žeravík <michalz at olomouc.com>:
> > > Hello to all and bing congtrats to v2.
> > >
> > > I'm still having problems with clicks and pops
> > > with 2.6.20.3-ubuntu1 custom build from lowlatency sources
> > > on my amd64 dualcore.
> > > I'm using realtime-lsm module with PARAMETERS="gid=29 mlock=1".
> > > Don't you know if there is any plan to release
> > > fresh ubuntu kernel with Ingo's realtime patch?
> > >
> > > Michal
> > >
> > Here you can find it:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RealTime
> >
> > you'll have to add his repository to your sources.list. I'm currenctly
> > using it and experiencing no problems at all.
>
> Yes, thank you, I know about that, but don't know
> how to use it on amd64 arch. there are images only for i386 afaik.
> There is no linux-patch-realtime-preempt-2.6.20 in my apt-get.
>
> Michal

Ops, sorry, I didn't read that your arch was amd64. AFAIK it's already
in main in gutsy and there's the build for x86_64 too there so you can
try backporting it putting a deb-src line in your sources.list
pointing to the gutsy archive like this:
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy universe main
multiverse restricted
then
sudo apt-get update
mkdir linux-rt-2.6.22
cd linux-rt-2.6.22
sudo apt-get build-dep linux-source-2.6.22
(here it will install some dep if needed)
sudo apt-get source -b linux-source-2.6.22
(builds all the kernel images, take a _long_ time...)
then you should have a
linux-image-2.6.22-x-rt
(or something like that) debian package, the right image is the one
with -rt in the name.

Of course use this at your own risk, I was able to do the same (and
all went well) to backport the lowlatency image from feisty (when it
was the unstable branch) to edgy, now I'm not at home so I can't try
it but if you try it keep also your current kernel installed in your
system in order to be able to boot with it if something goes wrong
with the new one.

Hope it helps, but be carefull as you are installing a kernel from a
development branch so it may work or not.