[ardour-users] firewire raid boxes

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Mar 21 08:03:42 PDT 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Christian Schumann wrote:

> I work with up to 24 tracks from time to time using a RME Digiface and
> en external Maxtor OneTouch II firewire single disk. When recording or
> playing back without a lot of plugins and overlaying regions, it's
> working stable. But if you forget to use playlists for different takes
> an just layer them on the respective tracks, you have to be very
> careful.
>
> So the bottom line of my experience: It works, if you take care about
> the transfer limits and arrange your session that way.

Thanks for the quick response.  I have a 250 GB Western Digital My Book
that I'm not using at the moment.  I've thought about putting that through
its paces in a test to see how well it would hold up.  What kind of file
system are you running on that drive?

That's kind of what I figured.  In most cases, this is for recording live
shows, so they would be tracked 'dry'.  That way I don't need to worry
about the overhead of plugins during tracking.  If there are effects added
at FOH during the show that need to be punched up, I could take care of
that in the mix or take a split from the appropriate FX buss(es) from FOH
as additional tracks if I have the room.

Normally the recording is input-only, so I don't need to worry about
creating a nasty feedback loop through the FOH console, which would be a
great way to not get invited back for future shows ;-)

jms