[ardour-users] Vocal removal

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Sat Mar 17 19:46:17 PDT 2007

On 17 March 2007 at 15:15, "Brett Clark" <Brett at ciscoinc.com> wrote:

>   I want to start by saying that i realize that Ardour is a
>   very powerful package for multitrack recording and there are
>   many plugins for doing serious audio work with it.  Normally,
>   i use Ardour for serious work, and its capabilities are
>   the reason that i was approached for this next task.  My
>   daughters dance class is working on a particular song that
>   they all really enjoy.  Unfortunately, it appears that many
>   artists today attempt to push things by adding in unecessary
>   vulgarity at some point or another in a song.  Hence, i have
>   been approached to see if i can use my gear (aka Ardour) to
>   remove some vocals within a song while keeping the background
>   music.  I havent found any LADSPA plugins that do this.  Does
>   anyone know of such a plugin?  Any other ideas or suggestions
>   are also very welcome.

A specialty plugin would probably be better, but sometime you can
reduce the vocal volume a great deal by inverting either the left or
right channel.  The closer the vocal is to being two channel mono,
the better luck you'll have with this.  The idea is that x-x=0, and
that most things besides vocals are panned a bit to one side or the
other.

G'luck....

--
Kevin