[ardour-users] Export temporarily locks up all audio apps

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Tue Jun 19 07:48:43 PDT 2007

On 19 June 2007 at 1:28, Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:

> When exporting in 2.0.2 (revision 1810) in freewheeling mode,
> for some time after the entire export is completed (according
> to Ardour's progress bar), all audio apps on my machine lock up
> for about a minute.
>
> And I mean, this includes the GUI of Ardour, and the GUI of
> apps like QJackCtl, and top shows that CPU usage of apps like
> ecasound goes to 75%, it's crazy. Never seen that one before.
>
> However, as soon as Ardour lets go of the export, everything
> comes back to normal and appears to work perfectly. It's just
> kind of scary for the moment.

Back with 0.99 I had a similar problem, except that ardour would
never stop the export, and the load would increase to the point that
I couldn't even kill the process, and eventually I'd need to power
cycle the machine.  Back then I came up with a recipe involving how
long to wait after it looked like the tracks were exported before
killing ardour.  If I waited too long, I'd have to reboot.  If I
didn't wait long enough, then the export wouldn't be complete.

But, now I've upgraded my OS from Mandrake 10.1 to Mandriva 2007.0
and ardour is at 2.0.2.  I've not had any troubles with exporting.

> This is using a USB soundcard.

I don't know that the card should matter.  The export is from hard
drive files through ardour, plugins, etc, and back to disk.

Cheers....

--
Kevin
"The most amazing achievement of the computer software industry is its