[ardour-users] Fwd: [LAU] Ardour: fixing errors in a recorded track (was: DAW usability)

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Jun 17 10:53:00 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 10:28 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 6/17/07, Jan Depner <eviltwin69 at cableone.net> wrote:

> > > Has Ardour ever solved the loop-recording/punch in task?
> > >
> > > This is probably the biggest reason a moderately skilled player like
> > > me really enjoyed recording in Pro Tools. In PT I could setup a
> > > punch-in range where I wanted to rerecord, basically since my first
> > > take was junk for a certain number of bars. I could loop PT over a
> > > longer range both before and after the punch in points so that I could
> > > get the groove before hand and not cut of my recording at the end. PT
> > > took care of adding and naming a new audio take for each time I looped
> > > over the punch-in range and put them in a play list for me to choose
> > > the one I finally wanted to keep. I might record the same 8 or 16 bars
> > > 20 times to get things sounding good, trying different ideas, etc.
> > > After that it was easy to delete the new takes that I wasn't going to
> > > use and the moderate skilled player ended up with what sounded like
> > > one coherent take.
> > >

> >     I never thought of looping over it.  It seems like it should work
> > though (and it sounds like a very good idea).
> >
> > Jan
> >

> It didn't a long time ago - maybe 2-3 years back. As I say I hardly
> use Ardour anymore so I'm just so out of touch I figured I'd ask.
> Always looking for a way to link up with Linux Audio again one of
> these days.
>
> If you or someone else has a chance to try it out I'd be interested in
> the results. Pretty important when you loop over and over again over
> the same location is that each take has to get an independent name or
> you cannot find the take you want to hang on to.

    I just tried it and it works!  Each one gets its own name.  I did
have some problems auditioning each one or bringing them to the top
layer so there's something a bit broken there.  I guess that needs to be
reported as a bug.

Jan

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69

arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride'"