[Ardour-Users] Puzzling line level interference

Thomas G. Willis tom.willis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 20:25:48 PDT 2007

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone can suggest remedies for this problem I'm having in doing
laptop recording.Not necessarily ardour related

Basically I got a really weird white noise-ish interference when I try to
record through the line -in that seems to hover around 4db. Here's the
strange part. If I unplug the ac adapter it goes away. So Basically I can
record scratch tracks while running on battery (which lasts about an hour).

I've also noticed that if I route from the line out jack into my Roland 8
track I get an identical sounding hum/buzz that also goes away when I unplug
the ac adapter.

I'm almost certain this problem is isolated to my residence because I do a
radio show off my laptop through the line out with ac adapter plugged in and
there is no hum what so ever in the studio.

Someone wondered if maybe it has something to do with the internet access
that the energy company offers maybe. So I'm wondering if there's any way to
filter the current out maybe through an extra fancy power stripor something
so that I don't get the hum when I record.

FWIW. It's a HP Pavillion dv9000(snd-intel-hda) running the latest ubuntu
and whatever ardour is in their repositories.

I'm getting an ext usb sound card delivered in a couple of days and I'm
hoping that this helps but the problem is annoying.

Thomas G. Willis