[ardour-users] 48 channels on ardour

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:42:49 PDT 2007

On 7/18/07, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com> wrote:

> On 18 July 2007 at 11:13, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So, let's not call it a bug and maybe make an enhancement request?
>
> Only because "user abuse tolerance" isn't a category? ;-) When I
> move files, I consider it something that's all at my own risk and
> that I'm doing something unplanned by the developers, so I get
> what I deserve.  Did I say I make backups?

Only because other high end audio applications routinely support doing
this and then provide a mechanism to get stuff working again without
hand editing proprietary application files.

Take this example which happened to me. I was running two audio
drives. My session grew to the extent that one of the drives became
overly full so I added a 3rd audio drive to the system. I needed to
move some of the session audio around for a lot of sessions. Ardour
didn't provide any mechanism (at the time) for doing that.

Had I still been running Pro Tools it would have said the file had
moved. It would have searched my audio drives to find the right file,
based on name, size, format, etc., and asked me if it had found the
right file. If I answered yes, then it would have looked in similar
locations or other missing files. Things get linked up again pretty
quickly.

Replaced with silence is a bit draconian.

I do understand that Ardour isn't Pro Tools, nor is it Acid Pro.
However moving audio files is part and parcel for working with with
large recordings. I would, in fact, be surprised if the original
poster really ever recorded 48 channels that he wouldn't run into the
need to do this anyway. My experience, running ext3 audio drives, was
not the data tranfer rates but rather appeared to be seek times as the
number of open files increased. As the files get larger the head is
moving around more and it all gets a bit messy. By moving the file
there is a sector recolletion aspect to it that helps improve how the
data is oriented and generally makes things work a bit better. Again,
just my experience.

Bye all. Over and out.

- Mark