[ardour-users] 48 channels on ardour

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Tue Jul 17 14:17:44 PDT 2007

On 17 July 2007 at 20:04, John Rigg <au at sound-man.co.uk> wrote:

> Yep. You'd have to decide if you really need to use 96kHz rather
> than 48kHz. With something like a Delta 1010, most of the potential
> increase in quality at 96kHz is wiped out by the increased clock
> jitter, so it isn't really worth using more than 48kHz with that
> particular hardware.

Very interesting.  Is there much additional jitter from trying to
sync multiple units, or is the internal jitter of one unit enough to
degrade the quality?  How are you determining the quality differences
between 48kHz and 96kHz?  Are you looking at the noise floor?  Or,
maybe you've run a test like "effective bits"?  See http://www2.tek.com/cmswpt/tidetails.lotr?ct=TI&cs=Application+Note&ci=4405&lc=EN&from=rss

> Yes. At least one user on these lists is using it for 64 channels.
> I'm currently using three Delta 1010s for 24 tracks. It's reliable
> and I don't get xruns (I use large period size and monitor from the
> 1010s' hardware outputs for `zero latency' monitoring though). Having
> said that,

Are you sync'ing your three via the BNC sync connectors or through
the S/PDIFs?

Thanks...

--
Kevin