[ardour-users] [ardour-dev] bug or stupidity ?

Dan Tepper dan at wintaper.com
Mon Jul 9 08:14:07 PDT 2007

I understand this philosophy - I'm all for non-destructive.

the problem here is a situation I encountered yesterday. Before I
realized all the looped takes were going into one file, I dropped a
region and accidentally moved the beginning point of the region to what
was really the end of the previous take by a little bit. So now this
"region" spanned 2 takes, and started near the end of one (during silence).

Because I did not immediately realize I had moved the start point, I
ended up with no way to align this track properly other than by ear.
"original position" didn't work for subsequent takes (loops), however
even if it did, how would it place the region that (now) spanned two takes?

I gotta disagree on this one. I know it is not a trivial thing to
change, but the way this is being handled is counter-intuitive and
actually increases the chances of error. This handling is already
causing problems with the original position concept - which frankly I
don't see how you can resolve as long as I can move the start point of a
region across two looped takes that really occur at the same point in
the timeline.

If each take went in its own wav file, there would be no problem with
"original position" alignment and I would not be able to move start
points across different takes (loops). This approach would likely
require less code than what you are doing now, since I would have to
guess there is some special handling for these looped record regions.

FYI
I did finally figure out that if I place the edit cursor right at the
punch point, I can right-click a track and choose "insert selected
region" to place the region properly. Of course this was a bit of a pain
since you cannot right click the punch point and move the edit cursor
automatically (you can move the playhead). so I had to manually position
the edit cursor by switching the time displays to audio-frames and then
cut and pasting values.