[ardour-users] limits.conf WARNING

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Tue Jan 30 03:27:52 PST 2007

Quoting Michael Gerdau <mgd at technosis.de>:

> > > here the limits.conf looks like:

> > > #@audio         -       nice            -19
> > > #@audio         -       rtprio          99
> > > #@audio         -       memlock         500000
> > >
> > > # End of file
> > > @audio - rtprio 99
> > > @audio - memlock 250000
> > > @audio - nice -10
> > >

> > > if i change the memlock variable to 500000 and reboot, there still
> is
> > > the warning.
> >
> > You have 500K being allocated here, you'll need several MB at least.
>
> You sure about the 500k ?
>
> According to the documentation the value of memlock is in KB which would
> make the above value almost 500MB.
>
> Anyway, I have set this value to 4000000 (which IMO is almost 4GB) and
> I also get this warning (my system has 2GB of RAM).
>
> So the question is whether the PAM documentation is wrong and memlock
> is not given in KB ?
> Or is Ardour raising a false alarm ?

Ardour will give this warning for any amount of maximum locked memory. It is
a /warning/, not an error. It points the user to a potential problem which
they should look at if they run into issues.

"This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs out of
memory... "

The warning means you MIGHT run out of memory BEFORE your whole system runs
really out of memory.

  Sampo