[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Sat Feb 10 04:26:22 PST 2007

On Saturday 10 February 2007 12:03, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> I've been running linux for over 6 years and never had to install a
> single driver by hand.

You've been a lot more lucky than me then. I've had to manually install
drivers countless times, either because my distribution did not have the
driver I needed at all, or because it included a version of the driver
that simply was not functional.

The devices in question include graphics cards, a tv tuner card (ivtv), a
graphics tablet (wacom), various pieces of wifi hardware, a winmodem, and
others. In the best case, all I needed to do was download and install one
package. In the worst case, I had to dig deep into makefiles and source
code to get things working. Although I must admit that in some cases,
this was a challenge that was actually fun (for me), this is not
something the average Linux user should have to do.

By the way, these are all experiences from the past year I'm talking
about, mostly using Ubuntu Dapper.

So I fully understand the need for a single, simple way to install drivers
on Linux. I like the idea of having all drivers included in the
distribution, but let's face it, a distribution that fully works out of
the box, on every piece of hardware, is just not going to happen.

Having said that, I've had very little trouble with audio hardware, mostly
because I've always had the possibility to choose devices which were known
to work smoothly, and avoid the others. But in way too many cases, you
just don't have this choice.

Cheers,
    Dominic