[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 03:03:34 PST 2007

John Emmas wrote:

> Re-installing or upgrading drivers under Linux is simply
> too difficult for the average computer user.

I've been running linux for over 6 years and never had to install a
single driver by hand. With the latest distros (debian/ubuntu) all I had
to do was to 1) place the cd in the cdrom drive 2) boot and answer a few
questions (which country I'm in etc) 3) install whatever software I want
to use and that's it.

Then again I might not be your average computer user + I carefully avoid
linux hostile hardware :-)

Bottom line: I can in no way recognize the picture you paint of linux
driver problems, and hence fail to follow your arguments on why
manufacturers avoid linux. My .02 would simply be that they don't (and
they might be right at the moment) see enough money in supporting linux.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://www.atte.dk      | quintet:      http://www.anagrammer.dk