[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Feb 9 11:30:24 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jesse Chappell" <jesse at essej.net>
To: "John Emmas" <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk>
Cc: <ardour-users at lists.ardour.org>
Sent: 09 February 2007 17:40
Subject: Re: [ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

> Actually, I just dug up some reports and rev98 actually is known not
> to work right with the ALSA driver.  RME has not given us the
> necessary information to fix it, but they do have the older firmware
> which you can downgrade from windows.  The following is direct link to
> the older version firmware updater that contains the 151 (or rev97 in
> linux hex-speak) for the hdsp9632.
>
> http://www.rme-audio.de/download/treiber_archiv/fut_win_dsp.zip

Jesse - you're a star..!  I upgraded (well, downgraded) the driver and the
card's now working in both Windows & Linux!!

Immense thanks.  The card's firmware is the last thing I would have
suspected.  Maybe I'll need to become more savvy about this kind of thing
but I can honestly say that in 20 years of using DOS & Windows, I've never
once encountered a show-stopping firmware problem like this.

There's only one minor problem left to solve.... I've noticed that, before
I can play any sounds, I need to run hdspmixer at least once.  Having
run it once, I can close it down.  I'm thinking I might make it start up
automatically but is there a "background" setting where it can be
launched without being physically displayed on screen?

Thanks,

John