[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

Brett Clark Brett at ciscoinc.com
Fri Feb 9 07:47:10 PST 2007

>> But I suspect now that I've probably got 1 set of sound drivers running the Hammerfall
>> card and another set still trying to run my on-board sound chip.

This makes sense.  If you have multiple sound cards on your system then they may require
different drivers.  An example is if you have your RME and a SoundBlaster, then the
kernel would load up drivers for both since drivers are hardware specific.

>> Any decent driver installer would make sure that there was only 1 set of drivers installed
That would cause problems in systems with multiple sound cards.  Any OS i know
of (even Windows) would require multiple drivers on systems with different multiple
sound cards.

One thing you could try, if your not using your onboard sound card is to boot to the
BIOS and disable it.  This would only leave the RME active and linux wouldnt load
the drivers for the other.  This may assist in the debugging of your system by eliminating
possible issues.

>> It's this kind of thing that frustrates me so much about Linux
I realize that it can get frustrating, unfortunately that frustration isnt pinned on any
specific OS or hardware.  These problems seem to be able to cross platforms.  Hopefully
your issues get resolved soon so you can get back to recording.

--Brett