[ardour-users] A decent sound card for Ardour

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 05:19:37 PST 2007

Hi Sampo,

On my particular version, the white buttons are at the bottom of the strip
and they don't seem to do anything under Ubuntu (although on my Windows
copy, they seem to be track labels that I can name).  Underneath the white
button is a black button with A1&2 or A3&4 or AN1&2 etc.  I can change those
black buttons to wherever I want - but the sound doesn't go anywhere, except
for the playback channel meters (which are the ones on the middle row).

This might be significant.... At the top right-hand side of my screen is a
small speaker icon.  If I click my mouse on it, a fader drops down which is
set at minimum level.  If I try to raise that fader, I can't set it any
higher than the minimum level.  I can't help wondering if that's got
something to do with my problem.  Under Preferences->Sound, I selected my
RME Hammerfall as the default device but that didn't make any difference
either.

My "gut feeling" is that I've probably got 2 lots of sound drivers, both
fighting over the same hardware.  In the past, this already caused me lots
of problems with other hardware devices, such as my graphics card and
broadband modem.

John