[Ardour-Users] New user and 'large' projects

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Dec 26 01:05:40 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Anderson" <ardour at semiosix.com>
Subject: Re: [Ardour-Users] New user and 'large' projects

> But I think you may want to consider layering regions (you can set their
> z-order) or playlists.

Sorry to digress but this brings up a question that I was just about to
post.  Suppose I have a simple playlist with 10 regions either butt-edited
sequentially or with slight overlaps.  If all the regions are on layer 0, it
sounds different from if the regions are layered sequentially (say, 0 thru
9).  In particular, when all the regions are on layer 0, the final second or
so (of some of the regions) seems to increase in level slightly, just before
the edit point.  The increase is only slight - maybe 1dB -2dB.

I assume that this probably isn't the intended behaviour but it raises the
quesion:-  why have layering at all?  What is its purpose?

John