[Ardour-Users] New user and 'large' projects

james jwm-art net james at jwm-art.net
Mon Dec 24 04:14:51 PST 2007

I'm no expert, but as no one else has replied:

On 23/12/2007, "Paul Campbell" <paul at cossmass.co.uk> wrote:

>My current plan is to have my source audio (dialogue, SFX, music) all
>be Imported (i.e. linked) into the sessions.  Have a snapshot per
>scene and per header & footer.  Have a snapshot that pulls in exports
>from each of the other snapshots, and use that for mastering.

That sounds sensible enough to me. But I do sometimes get confused as to
where file->save is going to save, after I have created a snapshot, and
have in effect saved over what I intended to keep, so be careful there
(??).

>My current new trick that I've just learnt is sending the output from
>all dialogue and SFX in a scene to a Bus with all the ambience and
>reverb setup for the scene's location.  Tried using Sends, but found
>redirecting the Outputs easier to understand.

You need to activate the sends in the same way as you activate a plugin.
You can place the send in amongst, before, or after, plugins, so
they're more versatile than redirecting the outputs, but do what suits
your approach.

>I did consider trying to do all this in a single session per episode,
>but quickly ran out of JACK connections (128) after only a couple of
>scenes.  I also found that while envelope would allow me to keep gain
>control with the regions, there isn't an equivalent for pan or other
>plugins.  A horizonzal drag for automations would be great.

I think you can use a modifier type key press when moving a gain control
point and it will push the others (but not pull) with it, it's almost
what you want. see docs. (alt or ctrl and move point?)

>* Science Fiction Audio Drama from Cossmass Productions - http://cossmass.couk/

you might find some spacey sounds here :)

http://www.jwm-art.net/o7.php?p=audio_2007
http://www.jwm-art.net/art/audio/trigger_happy2.3i.mp3
http://www.jwm-art.net/art/audio/trigger_happy2.3-misc.mp3