[Ardour-Users] Waveforms still refusing to appear

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Dec 18 13:12:25 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 12:16 -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:

> Yep, that's me. I'd much rather have soft links than hard links. I don't like hardlinks in general, but that's not the problem. I wavpack all my files. If they are hardlinked, then when they get unpacked, they become two *separate* files. The workaround I've found is to not embed audio, but leave the "copy" box ticked, and just delete the original files instead.

So, I still don't entirely understand what category of files you are
referring to. Are you talking about files stored inside the Ardour
session folder? If so, its basically "illegal" for you to mess with
these in any way, and I would encourage you to not develop a workflow
that involves doing so. The arrangement, semantics and lifetime of these
files is subject to change at any time, and is intended to be (mostly)
transparent to the user. Of course, this is a *nix-style app, so we're
not going to go out of our way to hide things from you. But if you're
messing around with these files, you're on thin ice.

> Actually, maybe I should just make a feature request for Ardour to support compacting sessions with WAVPACK compression. WAVPACK supports compressing JACK native format files (32-bit IEEE float WAV's), so I'm sure that others might find that useful too. Might be a neat little improvement to the product.

When libsndfile support it, so will Ardour. We are not going to write
out own i/o code for new audio file formats - libsndfile is the
framework we use, and its much more useful for all applications if
support for WAVPACK is added to libsndfile than added to Ardour.

--p