[Ardour-Users] FW: boost libs

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Aug 16 09:28:55 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 18:08 +0200, Lieven Moors wrote:

>         From: lievenmoors at hotmail.com
>         To: taybin at penguinsounds.org
>         Subject: RE: [Ardour-Users] boost libs
>         Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:07:15 +0200
>
>         This is not true. Installing boost from source takes more than
>         328 Megs ! (I don't know how much more)
>         That is, if you don't specify which libraries it should leave
>         out with the --without-libraries switch to configure.
>         The previous ardour executable takes only 7.2 Megs.

tayin was referring to the amount of space required to build ardour:
about 1GB! the rpm on my system for boost is about 2.6MB, the
development rpm clocks in at about 49MB.

>         The libraries that require separate compilation are:
>         test, wave, graph, regex, date_time, signals, serialization,
>         iostreams, filesystem, python, thread, program_options
>         and ar all compiled by default.
>         I still wonder if ardour needs all of it, or none.

ardour doesn't need it, but nobody that i know who is working on
developing ardour has any interest in spending the time required to
figure out what you strip out and what you cannot.

--p